Tuesday, May 10, 2016

A lesson about marketing from a hitchhiker

I was driving into work this morning, when I had the urge to pull over and let a complete stranger enter my car.

My mom wouldn't approve, so I didn't do it.

He had his thumb extended wishing to fetch a drive to somewhere unknown. Not knowing if my destination intersected with his, I decided not to stop. I wouldn't have stopped anyways. I've only picked up one hitchhiker in my life, and it was someone I knew.

I worried about the smell. He looked allergic to bath water. The Seinfeld episode on body odour was lingering among my other thoughts.

Then I thought about my friend Paul. He used to hitchhike every weekend two hours each way to see his lovely lady friend back in 1995.

Paul knew he needed to sell himself to the countless cars zooming by. He explained hitchhiking was a numbers game. And that someone always picked him up within ten minutes of starting his adventure.

Approaching this role like any sales job, Paul would put on a tie and suit jacket and carry a briefcase. That usually got him his lift. Who wouldn't pick up a business man in distress? If that didn't work, he would pull out a sign from his briefcase, which doubled as his luggage.

The sign would simply say, "Going home to see my mom". Now that's marketing. He tapped into people's emotions.

How often do we see the hitchhiker who looks like he is on his way to Woodstock? Hair tied back in a ponytail, facial hair that has been growing for a few months, army jacket, with matching hiking boots and wool socks and shorts. Probably has a hunting knife somewhere stashed in his duffle bag waiting to be used on his next victim. The duffle bag matches the army surplus gear.  It's tossed to the side of the road, trying to hide from view waiting for someone to pick them up.

I often wonder who picks up these nomads. It must surely be other nomads who can associate with them. I wouldn't pick them up unless I knew them. There's probably nothing wrong with them, until they decide to pull out that hunting knife and steal my car.

But who wouldn't pick up my friend Paul? Paul sold himself and marketed himself within two seconds that someone zoomed by. He only needed two seconds.  He always found a buyer. It was too good of a deal.

How do we present ourselves in our own marketing?
How does our business present itself?
Are we vagrants looking for a free ride?
Or we built on a purpose that is easily identifiable for all potential buyers?


No comments:

Post a Comment