Thursday, October 18, 2018

BMW's, dandelions and the 100 metre dash

Can I ask you a couple of questions?
I'm just finishing up my tea, but I have a few minutes.

How do you find success?
I'm not sure I understand your question. Aren't you successful?

I think I am, but then I see others around me, I start to think I'm not.
That's your problem. You are comparing success to others and that's not fair.

I'm trying to grow my business. It's growing, but sometimes I feel it's going too slow. I see a competitor driving a brand new BMW and I think to myself that I wish I could drive one too.
It's ok to wish to have a BMW, but it's not ok to compare. 

Why not?
Does the dandelion compare itself to the maple tree?

So you're saying I'm a dandelion.
No. Not all. But is it fair to compare the two?

Of course not. 
Why?

Because the dandelion grows anywhere, grows fast and then dies. The maple tree takes years to develop and as long as the conditions are good, continues to grow and then yields yummy syrup.
Right. So they live for different reasons.

Yes. And they provide a different need.
Exactly. You assume your competitor is doing well because he drives a nice car. Is that a fair assumption?

He wouldn't have gotten the car if he couldn't pay for it.
You're making assumptions. How much debt does he have?

I don't know.
Did someone give him the car? 

I don't know.
Is he killing the cashflow in his business to make it look like he's successful?

I don't know.
Did he receive an inheritance from a family member and used the funds to buy a nice car?

I don't know.
Does he cry himself to sleep every night because his wife is about to leave him.?

I don't know.
See. You assume that his business and his life are great because he drives a nice car.  You don't have enough information. Yet you compare his business to yours because you don't drive a nice car.

You're right, but I want a nicer car.
And you've decided you can't afford it?

Exactly. 
So are you successful?

Not as much as I want to be. 
That's ok. But the maple tree cannot yield a return on maple syrup until it reaches a certain age.

And the dandelion grows fast and dies fast.
Exactly.

So my competitor might be a dandelion?
And you might be a maple tree. But don't worry about what other people are doing. Continue to do the things that has given you success.

Slow and steady wins the race.
Not if you're running the 100 metre dash. Sometimes fast and explosive wins. It all depends on the race you think you're running.

Huh?
Do you realize the race you are running has no one running against you?

Yes I do. I lose potential clients all the time to my competitors.
Of course. But back to my dandelion example. Does the dandelion feel like the maple tree is taking away the nutrients of the land?

Ouff. I have no idea. 
The dandelion grows where it can. Nutrients are everywhere, and the maple tree can't have them all because there is more than enough to go around for everyone.

So I'm a dandelion?
I never said that. You cannot win the race of your business.

Why not?
Because no one is running against you.

But what about "First in wins"?
That applies to new industries or new products. Your industry is mature. You don't need to worry about it.

But they ARE taking my potential clients.
Change you're perspective. 

Huh?
They aren't taking your potential clients. They close their potential clients. You have done nothing to call those clients potential. You believe your clients is a non-renewable resource. 

They are not?
New clients are coming into the market everyday. People die everyday and others are born. Clients are renewable just like the nutrients in the ground.

So what do I need to do to move my business forward?
Define your goals. Identify the actions you need to do to achieve your goals. And complete the actions. Measure and monitor how you're doing. Rinse and Repeat.

Just like shampoo.
Uh, huh. Do you compare how people shampoo their hair?

No.
So forget what others are doing. You do it the way you know how.  Keep moving your goals, actions and dreams forward. And then learn how to do it better.

So how do I set my goals?
Look at whatever you want improvement. Identify where you want it to be. But the goal needs to be SMART.

It will be.
Smart is an acronym which means Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Timely.

Oh. I still want a BMW.
Then set your goals to achieve it. That sounds like a SMART goal, if you put a timeline on it

Wow. I will. Thanks for your time.
No problem. Good luck.


Rick Nicholson is a multi unit business owner and partner at Wizard of Ads in Austin, Texas. He looks at marketing from the perspective of customer bonding, corporate beliefs and increasing sales. He only works with a select few customers who believe in the same things he believes in. If you want to grow your business and would like to know how he can help you, you can reach him at ricknicholson@wizardofads.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment