Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Secret of success, go after your opportunity, and five levels of respect

My eyes lifted from the computer screen to see an old friend walking to the counter to order a coffee. As he sees me, he motions that he'll be right over.

He noticed me, my insecure self whispers.
Of course he noticed you, my confident self affirms.

Nonetheless, my old friend is a professional athlete who is on national television no less than 75 times per year. He moved away many years ago. 

As he comes over to say hi, I didn't know what to say to him. I've watched him rise to be one of the best in his profession. 

I have to tell you that I brag to my son that I know you.
Haha, I'm still the same guy.

Tell me something, what's the secret to your success?
Oh I had a lot of people helping me, coaching me and pushing me to be better.

That's the bullshit answer you give the media. Tell me the real reason.
Opportunity presented itself and I went after it.

Do you ever pinch yourself that you're in a dream? You're out there with some of the greatest household names in your sport.
At first, maybe. But I'm not in awe of anyone out there, not even the superstars.

How do you do it?
It's all mental. We have psychologists we work with to keep our minds sharp. I go out everyday to be the best I can be. I can't worry about anyone else. There's one guy who makes $5 million dollars a year. He's the biggest jerk in the league. He likes to mouth off, looking for a reaction from me.

So what do you do?
I smile and tell him that a guy making that much money should be happier and quieter.

That's funny. Do you love what you are doing?
I do. But it's a job. In the beginning, I had to pinch myself to realize that I had made it. Now, it's about routine, flying and working. Last year, I flew 160 times all over North America. I live in airports and hotels. It's not ideal, but I know I'm really lucky to be where I am.

Any regrets?
I wish I could live here and still do my job. But opportunity is elsewhere and I have to go where it is.

That's great advice. Go where the opportunity is. My son said he wants to be a professional athlete. I've told him that nothing is free. He has to work for it. If he was your son, what would you say to him?
I would tell him to never give up. To work hard, but always understand there are 1500 people who compete daily for the same job that he wants. 10% are superstars with above average skill in the league. The other 90% are all about the same in the skill department. The difference between those who make it and those who don't is between their ears.

Attitude?
More than attitude. Respect.

Respect?
Respect for self, for the team, for the coach, for the league and ultimately for the game. The person who respects the five levels and has comparable skills is the guy who becomes the professional athlete.

That's great advice. Thanks for stopping by.
No problem. I've got a tee time in 15 minutes. I gotta go. See you later.






No comments:

Post a Comment