Friday, May 8, 2015

Can you help you?

How many times has a shopper gone into a clothing store to be bombarded with commission based wolves who don't know how to interact with a complete stranger?

The three greetings shoppers get slapped with are "Hi, how are you today?" and "Can I help you with anything" or "Are you looking for anything in particular?".

Even when I'm looking for something, I don't want to engage these sales people. I just want to be left alone so I say something just as stupid like "No, I'm just looking around", which really means "Leave me the fuck alone".

Today, I went into a specialty store that sells running equipment. I've never been in that store even though it's been there for 10 plus years and a number of friends have recommended it in the past. I had some time to kill between meetings and I really needed a new pair of sneakers. I'm cheap when it comes to clothes for myself but someone recently told me not to skimp on footwear.

What really stood out for me at this store was the way this single employee handled all of the walk in traffic. No one seemed to mind that she was alone. No one was in a hurry. No one left upset. Every single person who came in bought something. No "just looking around" in this store. What was different in this store compared to the others?

First, the salesperson was extremely knowledgeable. She wasn't some high school kid who would rather be texting than helping a customer.

Secondly, even though she was extremely busy, she never hurried me. Nor did she panic. At one point I told her that I didn't mind if she wanted to go help another customer. Her answer was awesome. She said, "He's gonna need me a lot longer than you do, so let's make sure you have the right sneakers before I go see him.

Thirdly, she greeted every single customer that came in with an awesome line and explained that she was by herself and would come to see them when she was finished with me. The awesome thing she said in the upfront greeting was "What brings you in to see us today?" She never once got the bullshit answers I've used a thousand times in other similar stores. She made a sale to every single person because she knew exactly what everyone was looking for.

I found my sneakers. It was the first time I bought footwear without weighing the cost of the purchase. I paid three times more than I've ever paid for a pair of shoes in my life and I love them.

Price is not as important as value. There were no discounts in this store. Why would there be? The product isn't just about the shoe. Everything this salesperson did increased the value proposition of the product. Did I mention I have two pair of sneakers that I've worn less than 4 times each because my feet couldn't get used to them? What's it worth to get a good pair of footwear? What's the value of not having sore feet after a good run?

This store knows that. Good for them.

Thank you Running Room and good job Kim. You impressed me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment