Friday, August 11, 2017

The answers are easy if you know the right question.

There was magic recently at a coffeeshop in Moncton. I felt it. John saw it. No one else experienced...yet.

It's coming.
John is an entrepreneur. He bounced up and down his seat as he explained what he was trying to do. John is so hyper he probably should be on ritalin.  As he spoke, his voice intensified the more excited he got.  

I love watching entrepreneurs be passionate about their business. John is the most excited I've ever seen.

John is in the honeymoon of a new business and he's chomping to get started. He asked me for some advice on his logo, name and taglines.

I don't like giving advice on work already done because how do you tell someone their baby is ugly?

I've known John for 10 years, so I gave him an hour to vomit all his ideas on the table. 

An hour of listening to him talk about his new idea went by.  I couldn't get much of a word in as he kept cutting me off. 

As my time commitment was finishing up, I asked him my secret, magical question. 

His answer gave me goosebumps. I asked him to explain and as he did, he got off his chair. He was pacing around the coffeeshop. He looked like a madman who was either going to punch a wall or kiss the next girl who walked in.  

Stopping in mid pace, he looked at me and half asking he said, "I need to change the name of my proposed business"?

Yes John, you do.

But I've spent good money on business cards, name searches, and logos.

I understand. The money you've spent is peanuts compared to that you will spend on building your brand. The marketing you've already done is ok. But it's not going to get you noticed in a highly competitive market. This new idea will give you INSTANT recognition in your category. 

Is this the purple cow thingy you told me about?

Yes, Seth Godin defines a purple cow as a product or service that is remarkable. Your new idea is on the path of remarkability.

As we parted ways, I could see John bouncing to his car.  He turned and looked at me and said, "The answer was inside of me the whole time. You pulled it out. Why didn't I see it?"

As I walked by his car, I answered, "You didn't ask yourself the right question". 

Ideas built on a good marketing strategy fill me with bliss. I hope John follows through on our discussion. It will make me happy to see him succeed. He's one of the good guys.





 


No comments:

Post a Comment