Tuesday, October 14, 2014

I see nothing...

Do you remember the series "Hogan's Heros"? The story was about Americans in a German POW camp during World War II and all of their escapades in gathering espionage from the wanting to be loved Colonel Klink and his dupable sidekick Sergeant Shultz.

Many times Shultz would catch the prisoners in action. Thinking he himself would get into trouble from Klink, he would iterate in a poor American-German accent, "I see nutting".

I was thinking about that line this morning when I was reading about false assumptions.

We all make assumptions. Many of those assumptions are based on experience. Some are based on the experience of others that we've heard about. Some are just made up because we think we're pretty smart.

Although experience can mean a great deal. It can also mean nothing. Albert Einstein once gave the same Physics exam to the same group of students two years in a row. When his assistant asked why, his answer was, "Because the answers have changed".

Can the assumptions we have be wrong? Can the answers change?

A friend asked me a great question over lunch the other day. "Do you know the answer or do you think you know the answer?". Thinking hard about his pose, I believe that more often than not, I think I know the answer.

I know a lot of stuff. But more importantly, there's more I don't know. And things change...

Instead of having answers, I am trying to have more questions. How freeing!!

We learn about perceptions and how each of us can have quite different perceptions of the world. How can I see the world through your eyes? The simple answer is "I see nothing".

You may need help but it can't be from my advice. I need you to see the answers through my questions.

How many good questions have you asked lately?


No comments:

Post a Comment