Thursday, October 2, 2014

What is your art?

I took a step today.

Is it the right step? I dunno.

Is it a step in the right direction? I dunno that either.

The Chetshire Cat said to Alice, if you don't know where you're going, any road will do. That damn indignant face of a smug bastard reminds me to know where I want to go before taking the first step.

I have been still for too long. There's an old saying my gramma used to say, "Still water runs deep". Sorry gramma, with all due respect, still water can also stink. I think I'm starting to stink.

I'm looking for my passion. But everywhere I look, it's no where to be found.

One friend advised that passion was something we find after we develop our craft. That would mean craft is the driving force, and passion is in the backseat waiting for you to realize the drive is a lot of fun.

Not sure about that.

Another friend suggested to try a number of things like painting or photography and see what I would like to do. I'm thinking photography could be fun. But I don't want to take pictures of people. I want to take pictures of oddities. I saw a coffee cup on the beach, washed into the sand by constant beating of the waves. The beauty of the beach, coupled with the disgust of man's inconsideration of nature's beauty was a paradox. I was intrigued.

We have friends whom consider themselves artists. Some are painters, dancers, singers. And yes some are writers and photographers.

Is that where art ends? Can it be anything that breeds creativity? Or does creativity breed art?

In Seth Godin's book, "Linchpin", he stipulates that all of us have art inside of us. We suppress it out of fear, and self doubt. He says that the art is the one thing that exists deep within us that we would gladly do for free, if we could. We let money get in our way.

I don't think money has anything to do with it. I think it is fear and fear alone that keeps us still.

I'm no longer willing to sit still. I'm going to do stuff. I don't know if I'll find my art in the process. I can't mentally afford to stink any more.

Two questions for you today...
1. Have you identified your art?
2. Are you stinking in your own still water?

Happy Thursday!

Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment