Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Struggles with Motivation

I wonder where the little bugger called motivation hides.

When he's in my grasp, nothing holds me back.

It's the days I lose him that bothers me.

There are days when I can't lift my ass off the couch except to go to the bathroom or to grab some food in the kitchen. I just want to sit in front of the TV all day and not do a damn thing. Sit and watch movies, sports, sitcoms. Eat chips, ice cream, candies. Drink rum, beer or whatever's in the fridge.

It usually lasts for an entire day.

I have enough to do.
My wife has a honey-do list waiting for my attention.
The kids want to play.
The garage needs cleaning.
The dog likes to walk.
I'm zombing out.

My old man would call me lazy. .

In these funks, I ask myself, "What will it take to get me motivated today?". The more I do nothing, the less I want to do, and the less I feel good about myself.

How do I release myself from the clutches of inertia. Sleep and a shower help but they generally come a day too late. But sometimes I do break out. Here's what it takes.

Action!

I start by doing something. Even if I really don't want to do it. I just start it and think to myself that when it's over I'll go back to the sofa.

In taking those first few steps, I don't zombie out again. I start feeling good. I feel productive. I feel like I accomplished one thing. Then the dopamine kicks in and I want to do something else.

My wife is smart enough to know when I'm in one these moods by suggesting we go for a walk. After minutes of deliberating, I tag along kicking and screaming. Then by some miraculous magical occurrence I feel better.

I learned from my dark days that motivation is found in an accumulation of baby steps.
Where do you find motivation? Like a marathon, you take one step at a time.

Just do it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment