Thursday, November 12, 2015

You play to win the game

In sport, we learn to compete. The competitive nature in me makes it hard for me to dial back the intensity while I watched my kids play soccer. I was asked to coach but I declined in fear that my competitiveness would send the wrong message to the kids.

Youth sport is supposed to promote participation and fun. But I noticed in the first year of my kids'  soccer season, the kids tried to keep score. They wanted to win. It wasn't about participation. It was about scoring goals (having glory) and winning (succeeding).

In the words of famous football coach Herman Williams, "You play to win the game!" And it is engrained in us to try to win, even when no one is seemingly keeping score.

The philosophy of winning translates to life, even if we don't think it should. We compete. We try to win. We live to win the game. I'm told life isn't a game.

But it is. We compete with ourselves.  We compete with our neighbours, and our friends.

We know life is supposed to be fun. However, just like youth soccer, we secretly keep score even if we know we're not supposed to.

No one's keeping track. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment