Wednesday, May 17, 2017

What are your limits?

Do you know what you are capable of doing.
     - if you're child was stuck under a car?
     - if a simple choice was the difference between life and death for you?
     - if you no longer had a paycheque and had to figure out how to survive?
   
You probably don't know.
You are an extremely capable person. But as long as those limits never get tested, you live in a cloud of security and limited growth.

You're potential is limitless.

I've seen a mother go from complaining about her life to a superwoman taking control of it.
I've witnessed a drug addict bum become an entrepreneur worth millions.
I've been a victim in my own life to become a hero, and back to a victim and back to hero again.

I believe opportunity is everywhere.
I believe your future is limited by your own thoughts.
I believe the future generation is going to be better than ok. I think they are going to do awesome things.

I'm tired of hearing about millennials and how they need everything done for them.
Millennials are too connected to technology.
I'm tired of listening to my peer groups lament about the kids of today.

Every generation complains about the generation coming behind them.
Every generation thinks the next one is messed up.
Every generation, as it comes of age, thinks kids are worse than when when they were growing up.

Here's what I know to be true.

-The 1970's was the decade of peace, sex and drugs. It also saw television sets installed in almost every home by the end of the decade. Too much television was going to ruin all kids. (My parent's generation).

-The 1990's was the decade that we were all going to die from AIDS. Hip hop music became mainstream and the Internet exploded with computer sales going exponential. (My generation).

-The 2010's is the decade where sexual promiscuity, synthetic drugs and smart phones are the rage. The Internet is portable. Sexual partners are multiple and drugs are getting freakier. This generation jokes about "Netflix and chill", snap chatting naked pictures, and being in a connected world without understanding the true art of conversation.

Is this generation any more messed up than the others? I don't think so. Their potential is still unlimited. They will take their place amongst the old foggies as they mature, while they complain about the next generation of kids.

The world our grandparents grew up in died with the invention of television.
Our parent's world died with the Internet.
Ours died with Smart phones.

The future generations will make the new world whatever it will be. We are along for a ride. Hoping not to get kicked off too soon.

But if we realize that our potential is still limitless, we can still accomplish great things knowing that Instagram, SnapChat, Facebook, Twitter is just this generation's version of Internet, Television and Radio and Electricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment