Saturday, May 27, 2017

What do you believe?

I work with entrepreneurs who want to grow their business.
Most entrepreneurs don't see the actual problem.

They struggle and call me to help them with marketing support.

We sit and discuss over coffee everything about their business.
I ask them questions not related to their business, more of a personal nature.
They look at me confused.

The real problem, in their blindspot, is what is holding them back.
In discovering their personality, the real problem is hiding in a dark corner, where no one wants to go.

Identifying the problem, I can help with a real solution.

But there's a catch.
When I find the real problem, I can't tell the potential client what it is.

Do you know why?
They won't BELIEVE me.
They are so close to their business, they aren't willing to see it, can't see it, don't understand how the rest of the world perceives them.

They are inside a bottle and can't read the label as Roy Williams, from Wizard of Ads, would say.

Although I can see the issue, I have to let them see the issue for themselves.

And sometimes it's hard.
They won't open up and make themselves vulnerable.
They are afraid the world will discover they are "winging" it and be found out as a fraud.
They are unsure of how this can help.
They don't trust me.

I ask for a set of "BELIEF" statements, which are really core value statements. They usually end up looking like something like this:

I believe in honesty.
I believe in treating people fair and just.
I believe in integrity.
I believe our products are the best in the industry.
I believe in reliability.
I believe the customer is the most important person in the organization.
I believe the employee is the most important person in the organization.
I believe actions speak louder than words.

Then I ask for non-cliche statements, which gets me an odd look.

Each business is different. Each person is different. Talk like you would with your friends about what you believe in. All these statements, although valid, don't say anything about you. They say more about what you think is important or what you've read in a book.

If the person opens up and starts writing from the heart, the beliefs come out.

Within those heart felt beliefs, we find a core value.
Using the core value, we create a message that describes the company to the core of the entrepreneur.

Most advertising fails because of the following:
1. Poorly crafted message ignored.
2. Well crafted message without TIME to work.
3. Well crafted message not aligned with the customer experience.

As the Wizard, Roy Williams, also states, good advertising speeds up the inevitable.

So if you want advertising to work, you need a well crafted message that aligns with the customer experience and is given enough time to take root with the audience.

The right message isn't a clever ad. It's one that comes from the heart. It's one that speaks to existence of your organization.

It starts with a belief.

Once I get to the heart of the beliefs, I can use examples from the business and show the client how the beliefs and the actions aren't lining up (the real problem). It's easier to sell the problem to someone when you use their words to help them BELIEVE you.

What are your business beliefs?
Don't use cliche sentences.
Use your everyday language.

Look for things that make you different.

Its hard to do.
It's a skill the Wizard teaches his clients and partners.
I'm so happy he taught it to me.
It makes my work so much easier.

Identify them and you'll discover your unique message, campaign, and advertising strategy.
And because you believe in the message, you won't switch the message too early because the cash register isn't ringing.

You won't change what you fundamentally BELIEVE.
That makes my job easier...

Rick Nicholson is a Wizard of Ads partner. You can reach him at ricknicholson@wizardofads.com to discuss development of your marketing strategy.









No comments:

Post a Comment