Friday, June 9, 2017

Occam, Jobs and The Wizard

I try to make sense out of the insensical.

I'm weird that way. 
Looking for patterns where no patterns go.
Let me explain:
The digital clock shows 5:38 twice every time the earth completes a full rotation.
I witness this number so often I wonder what message could God be trying to send me.

I've even checked out various versus of the bible to see if there is a chapter 5, verse 38 that may resonate. Nothing yet...





Chaos is a series of patterns yet to be discovered.
I don't understand what the message is but I take comfort in trying to be told something.

In science, Occam's razor states the simple answer has a higher probability of accuracy to the complex one.  Occam was probably right. hehe...

I look at the clock so often that it would be hard not to notice 5:38. And when I see it, I get excited looking for the magical message.

Although he may be right, I don't like Occam. I prefer to be a participant in the magician's act and not learn his simple tricks. It's too pragmatic and boring to hear life explained Occam's way.

Here's another example of the insensical.
I was sitting in "The Eye of the Storm", at Wizard Academy in March 2016.
Yes, I said that right: Wizard Academy.
It's a school where Roy H. Williams and his gang of troublemakers teach eager students about the art of persuasion, creative writing, art and general misfitery.

36 people were in the room with 21 laptops.
All of them were Macs.
Not one PC amongst them.

Noticing the nuance, I wondered why.
Apple holds 12% of the world market in laptop computers.
Yet 100% of the laptops in that room were Macs.
To my knowledge, the Wizard of Ads, has never publicly endorsed a Mac computer, besides owning one.

This was chaotic.
No pattern exists, with the exception that all in the room believed in the Wizard of Ads.
Each had been to Austin, Texas many times.
But why wasn't one of the 21 laptops a different brand.

Every one wore different brands of shoes, pants, and glasses.
But all the computers were the same brand.

Occam would probably say that ad people love great brands so they all buy the greatest brand of computer.
I think Occam's wrong on this one.
Why weren't they all wearing Nike's or Chuck Taylor's?

Researching corporate values this week, I stumbled on a video of Steve Jobs from 1997. Here's the transcript of the "Think different" campaign.

“Here's to the crazy ones.
The misfits.
The rebels.
The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.
The ones who see things diffe

rently.
They're not fond of rules.
And they have no respect for the status quo.
You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them.
About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
Because they change things.
They push the human race forward.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”





Twenty one Apple laptops weren't purchased because we were at Wizard Academy.
Twenty one Apple laptops were purchased because the misfits all believe what Apple believes.

The rebels believe they can change the world.
They went to Wizard Academy to learn how to do it.

After seeing the following video this week, I'm certain of the rebels' motivation.
Check out this video of Steve Jobs talking about corporate values and the "Think Different" campaign.

People who believe in the same things like to hang out together. Some call that friendships.

The 21 laptop nonsense finally makes sense.

Now to figure out why the clock keeps blinking on 5:38...












No comments:

Post a Comment