Friday, July 10, 2015

No longer employable - Another story

I knew the day I was no longer employable.

It was at a job interview.

I didn't want to be there. I felt sick to my stomach as it felt like I pimped my services to another John Incorporated.

I didn't want the job. I wanted money to pay my expenses until another business opportunity came along.

I teach new entrepreneurs about the transition from being an employee to becoming an entrepreneur every month. The mentality is very different.

An employee gets paid every two weeks. If they do good work, don't piss off management, are honest, respectful and get along with others they get to keep that job and its benefits as long as they want it or until the company is forced to make changes.

An entrepreneur gets paid only when their company makes enough money to pay them. Entrepreneurs can do good work, be honest, respectful and get along with others and there is still no guarantee of a paycheque at the end of two weeks.

Entrepreneurs only get paid when they perform.
Entrepreneurs only get paid when they learn how to sell.

For some, the risk involved in getting paid as an entrepreneur is too great compared to the perceived security of a bi monthly salary and two weeks vacation as an employee. And those people should remain employees.

For about 5% of the population, there is a deep burning desire to step out on the skinny branch. To move forward pursuing a dream of working for oneself. To report to no one but yourself.  For that small segment of the population, entrepreneurship is the only way they will ever find happiness in their work.

Someone recently told me about all the things they loved about their federal government job. I didn't want to offend my friend so I played along. I think his job would be one of the worst jobs in the world. But he's well paid and he said he liked it there. Like a cat with a string, I asked one simple question, "When do you think you'll be able to retire?"

He's living a lie. He serves up his bullshit everyday telling himself he loves his job, when in fact what he really loves is the lifestyle the high paying job has afforded him. No one who loves what they do would think about early retirement.

I know of one entrepreneur who's in his eighties and still goes to work everyday, even though his children have taken over the business.

I love my kids. I don't want them removed from my life.
I love my wife. I can't imagine living without her.

To love what you do, would mean that you can't imagine ever stopping doing it.

I love entrepreneurship. I will never retire from it. I may slow down as I get older, but retire I won't.

And that's the true difference between an entrepreneur and an employee.

No comments:

Post a Comment