Thursday, July 16, 2015

What?

What?

I can't hear you.

What did you say?

I can't hear what you're saying because what you're doing is too loud.

Some of us has heard the famous saying from our parents, "Don't do as I do, do as I say", only to do exactly what our wiser older onspring told us not to do.

I was searching for professional services online this week, when I looked up the services of writers. Writers are like engineers. There is a special type depending on what you're trying to do. Some have to be technical. Some are creative. Some have a unique ability to capture a thought and describe it so well the reader sees herself in the story. And some are horrible.

I evaluate a writer based on her ability to sell.

If a writer can sell himself to me, then he should be able to sell me to my target audience.

I searched over 50 writers on a well known website that converges writers globally. With the exception of two, none of them used the power of their craft forcefully to convince me to buy their services. They tried to sell me on features and benefits using testimonials, level of experience and years of labour.

There's no emotion in features and benefits. The average person doesn't buy a drill for the voltage, revolutions per minute or the battery life. People buy drills based on its ability to make a hole in the wall. People buy for results. Unfortunately the results are not what you think.

We don't buy the latest BoFlex to get in shape. That's hard work. We buy it to be sexy.
We don't buy the red convertible because it's summer. We buy it to relive our youth.
And we don't buy Starbucks because it's better coffee. We buy it to prove we can afford a $5 coffee.

People buy on emotion. People think they buy rationally. But they don't. They buy emotionally and rationalize why they purchased after the fact.

Since people buy emotionally,  a good writer must capture the audience with magical words taking them on a roller coaster adventure. A good writer must be able to pull that very same emotion out of guys like me as we peruse their services. And if they can't, then they can't help me sell my services.

I was disappointed today.  But I learned a valuable lesson. There is a blustery snowstorm of noise from companies and people trying to sell us their stuff.  The magical ones worth buying from are rare and easy to pick out of a crowd.

Here are three examples of writers' sales pitches. Who would you hire to use the power of words to sell for you?

CC
Every word on the page is fluorescent through my eyes, with every syllable illuminated; having a meaning and a soul. When I write, I am not just merely typing words out on a page; I am living them, breathing them and experiencing them so that when my words are read, that experience lives on. 

KJ
Do you need help with your plot, characters, conflict, or dialogue? I'm an experienced book doctor, ghostwriter, and editor for general fiction, crime suspense, romance, young adult, new adult, fantasy, adventure, and science fiction. As an author and editor, I understand story structure, pacing, character development, and what makes a story sell. I enjoy working across genres,and I love helping others polish their work to reach more readers. Storytelling is my passion, and I'm here to make your story shine. I'll take your fiction to the next level! 

A little about me: I'm the author of over thirty books which have hit the top 100 in Kindle in the US, UK, and Canada, and #1 in ten categories. My fiction work includes short stories, novellas, and novels in contemporary romance, romantic suspense and thriller, western romance, new adult, Native American fiction, and military. I also have four nonfiction books on authorship and experience ghostwriting business and nonfiction.

PW
PW is an experienced writing corporation started in Boston, Massachusetts. We are a dynamic team of 10-15 writers with an exquisite blend of experience in the areas of article writing, ghost writing, academic writing, blogs, press releases, proofreading and editing and so our services will prove to be useful for your project.

Our work is unrivaled, seizes the reader's attention and ensures continued reading.

Working under strict deadline to complete the project or walking an extra mile just to satisfy our clients is never a...




With a background in finance and marketing, Rick Nicholson owned two highly successful restaurants before selling them to start a consulting business. His current company The Restaurant Ninjas provides tools to the foodservice industry to become more profitable. His book, "The Art of Restaurant Theft" can be downloaded for free at www.therestaurantninjas.com

You can subscribe to Rick's weekly email newsletter and his thoughts on business, life and everything in between at:
http://forms.aweber.com/form/05/1667819805.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment