Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Can't is a four letter word

I hate the word can't!

It's one of those four letter words that I don't want my kids to say.

It's not so much the word that bothers me. It's the line of thinking behind it.

Can't tells me that you've hit a brick wall. You're a bit skeptical about a potential outcome or activity. It generally means you've weighed all that you understand and the desired result is impossible.

The key word to the above sentence is "understand". Limiting beliefs pins our understanding to the ground. It puts us at a disadvantage because we only have one perspective and many times it's the only one we consider.

Knowing what we don't know is one of the keys to get passed our own challenges.

The next time you're faced with an impossible task, instead of coming to the conclusion that you can't do it, ask yourself how can you do it.

Saying something like "I can't afford a Porsche" is closed minded. End of story. End of thinking.

A different way to phrase the same challenge is, "What can I do to afford a Porsche?". That'll get the wheels turning in your brain. You'll go down a rabbit hole of possibilities.

Let me detail out my own thinking of how I could afford a Porsche:
Can I subscribe to any websites promoting used Porsche?
Is there a year that I want more than another?
Is there a type of Porsche that I want?
Do I know any other Porsche owners?
Porsche owners probably know other Porsche owners.
I should meet them all in my area. Someday they may want to sell.
If I want a new Porsche, it means I need to find throw away money to do that.
What do I have to do to make an extra $10,000 after tax income a year knowing that in 8 years I'll pay cash for my baby?
It's an extra $200 a week. So instead of watching TV for the next 8 years in my free time, what can I do extra, on the side, to build on my dream to own one of the world's finest automobiles.
I have a kick ass lawn-mower. I could find 5 lawns to mow for $40 each.
Kids sports always need officials. They pay the officials. I like sports. I could officiate my favourite ones on weekends.

That's a lot of work. And most people don't want to do more work. It's easier to numb their brains while they watch the latest episode of their favourite TV show while they say, "I can't afford a Porsche".

Are you willing to work for what you really want? It's that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment