Thursday, December 18, 2014

Kill dogs

Growing up with dogs, the whole alpha construct was clear. My dad was the alpha. My sister and I were part of the pack. We were equals. The dogs never bit us. The dogs played with us.

The neighbour's German Sheppard would attack me each time I would bike past the house. I would have to peddle my five speed as fast as I could up that small hill so I could get past the bastard's territory before he noticed me. On one occasion, he was in the front yard when he heard the squeakity squeak of my ungreased bicycle chain. He beat me to the road and leapt up to greet me with his smiling teeth as he tried to snap my juicy leg into his happy mouth. Impossibly peddling with my right leg, I lifted the left leg over the crossbar just in time to lose part of my gym sock. With the bike between me and the guard dog, I walked until the beast decided I was no longer infringing on his territory. It was by far the scariest moment I ever had with a canine.

We never had a dog that bit someone. They knew their place in our household. Even if they growled, my dad would remind them of their place. He was the alpha. They knew it and they respected him.

Some dogs are just bad. The rules don't apply to them. They are the alpha. They don't care about what the rest of the pack does. They are in charge. They make their own rules.

We had an alpha dog. My dad couldn't control him. He was an adult dog when we got him. He didn't play by dad's rules. Dad couldn't fix him. When he almost bit my sister, my dad took him to the woods and shot him. Can't have two alphas in one household.

I would personally learn that same lesson 12 years later.

The methods are different, but our society still kills bad dogs.  Although a dog can be reformed, we don't waste the time or money on them. We remove them from life. This form of corporal punishment is still somewhat accepted.

We don't kill two legged dogs!

We allow murderers the right to live. Our society would rather lock a convicted murderer behind bars for 75 years than put them out of their misery.

I don't understand.

Putting a dog in a cage for the rest of its life just seems inhumane.  I wouldn't do that to my Trixie.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment