Wednesday, December 3, 2014

How we doin?

How do you know when you're doing a good job at work if no one tells you? Are you one of the lucky people who get 6 month or annual employee reviews?

What about at home? How do you know if you're doing a good job as a mom, wife, daughter?

How do you improve? Does it take an argument to bring the shit things you do to the surface?

It's weird but in many cases we don't know where we stand with our loved ones. It's like a balancing act on a set of scales. You live with my shit. I live with yours. As long as the two piles of poop are about the same everything stays in balance and somewhat in harmony.

There's a tool I learned 10 years ago from the business world that I've never implemented in my personal life. It works for businesses, entrepreneurs, employees, parents, couples, and even for children. And it's simple.

At the end of each week, I ask each target on a scale of 1-10 how I did this week as a boss, employee, husband, parent.

Whatever the answer is, the second question is just as simple. How could I have gotten a 10?

This does a couple of things for the relationship. It demonstrates a desire for continuous improvement. It starts a conversation. And ultimately you never have to wonder where you stand.

Imagine an employee who never gets an annual review. You're probably one of them. If you ask your boss each week those two simple questions, your relationship with your boss and ultimately with your job will no longer be in question. You'll know exactly where you stand.

So how we doin'? On a scale of 1-10 how am I doing as blog writer. How do I get a 10?

PS. I have been inconsistent since last spring. My goal is to write 60 blogs by the end of January. So you will see more of my rants, thoughts, and observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment