Thursday, December 18, 2014

I'm losing my hair

What happened between ages 32 and 41?

I remember having more hair. I look in the photo album and I can prove my memory is correct.

16 years ago I got married. The faces in the wedding pictures are strangers. Who were these kids? My children don't believe me when I tell them I was once young. I'm not sure I believe me. Was that picture really me?

What happened to that young, good looking stud?

Two kids and three businesses later and I don't look as youthful.

I had my first grey hair when I was 16. It's not uncommon in my family. My gramma was grey in her forties. I never worried about the grey hair. It was hair loss that scared me.

I made a pact with myself 16 years ago. I would never be the guy hiding his budding baldness by combing over the remaining strands of dignity to mask the fleeting follicles.

This week, I used Skype for the first time. The person looking back at me on the computer screen was not the same person who greets me every morning in the mirror.

I didn't like the look of this guy. Where did his forehead end?

I made another pact recently. I like my haircuts short. I vowed not to get a haircut until I achieved one of my extremely hard goals. As my hair gets hippyishly long, my wife informs me the length of hair cannot cover-up the thinning effect. Have I become the comb-over guy?

I'm getting older. Was it the business stress, the family stress or just time catching up to this young punk?

I no longer look young.
I accept that.
I'm losing my hair.
I accept that too.

I blame my kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment