Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Trading my fake job for my real job: Day 8

Monday is over. One more Monday and the Queen will be home. Kids went back to the education factory today, which gave me a huge break.

With the Queen of the house gone, my daughter has stepped up to be the new Queen. Only her role is significantly reduced to that of Drama. I've learned to ignore her. It's either that or start a fight. And I can't afford that emotional capital.

Today, when the monster came home from the factory, my daughter insisted on two things: first she wasn't going to do her homework and secondly, she was going to help her brother with his homework. There was no discussion. Every time I tried to change the conversation, she called me out. "Why won't you answer my question. You always say that when you ask a question, I need to answer it. Doesn't the same thing apply to you?" She doesn't understand that her brother has dyslexia and he needs special help with his reading. I didn't want to say anything in front of her brother, so I kept quiet.

With all the non answers, she got mad. And the Academy Award goes to Ms. Nicholson for Best Actress in a dramatic role. Although my nature is to not let her get away with her attitude, I'm a bit afraid of where this could go. Plus I'm super focused on getting supper ready, homework and doing dishes before my 6 pm conference call.

With supper in the over, I pass by the little girl to go to the bathroom. As I cross her path, I fully expect a sigh or a some smart, hurtful remark that could push me over the patience fence. Instead, I hear a faint, "I'm sorry daddy". Although low in voice, it spun me around like a record player. A female in my house was apologizing to me. This is a first. At first I didn't know what to say. Then before I could think about it, the words "Thank you" came out of my mouth. After a big hug, our relationship was back on the rails.

Whew! Another fight averted. Note to self, next time she pulls her shit, don't engage. Walk away and let her cool down. She has the ability to apologize. That's a huge skill.

The rest of the night went well. Kids went to bed again at a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment