Saturday, April 11, 2015

Trading my fake job for my real job: Day 4

It's now four days into my motherless adventures with the kids. Things have gone reasonably well so far. Today I am getting reinforcements. When the kids get home from the education factory, I have an hour and a half before I have to leave for the city. With two business functions, I won't be home until 11:30 pm, so Gramma is coming over for the evening.

When the kids get home, I have to do homework, cook supper, and wash the kids. I knew I was in trouble the minute they walked in. The boy had fallen and had a bloody finger. Looks like the nail is half torn off. It's gotta hurt.

While I'm cooking supper, I ask both kids to start their homework. It's one of those nights when tearing out my eyes would have been less painful. The girl started first by saying she just wasn't doing her homework. The boy was next by informing me that he "forgot" his homework at school. Luckily, I remembered 8 of the 10 spelling words, so we start based on my memory. It went downhill from there. Just as I was about to lose my mind, gramma showed up.

Not showered, I hustle to get ready for a 5:30 meeting in the city.  On my way out the door, my kids forget all of the earlier conflicts and happily remind me to stop at a Toys 'R Us before I come home.

I planned on getting their bribe before the first meeting but since I was late, I chose to go after the first meeting and before the second one.

Ducking out of the first meeting with the excuse of my second commitment, I hurried to the mall. This time knowing exactly what I wanted, I ran into the store, picked up the booty and proceeded to a checkout. Setting off an alarm at the electronics checkout, I felt like a sophisticated thief in my suit as a teenager with a nose ring peeked up over a shelf to inform me that I couldn't leave the section without paying for the game.
"No one was at the counter so I figured I could pay at the front counter."
"No. You need to pay for it here"

Settling my indebtedness, I was able to get to my next function without being late. For a brief moment tomorrow, I will be a hero, I think to myself...




No comments:

Post a Comment