Saturday, April 11, 2015

Trading my fake job for my real job: Day 6

It's Saturday. Most people love the weekend. For me, I am afraid. It's the first day since my wife's absence that I have nothing planned to keep the kids occupied all day.

I woke up this morning to find out the dog has messed in the house, twice. I think she misses my wife the most. When my mom came over on Thursday, the dog jumped on my mom's lap and wouldn't leave her alone. She acted a lot like she does with my wife. Maybe it has something to do with estrogen or some female attraction. Since Aline left, the dog has slept every night with our daughter. That's a new habit.

Once the dog's messes are cleaned up. I start my day with the other cleaning. Bathrooms and floors have to be cleaned. It's a Saturday morning ritual. So I get to it. Our daughter asks me to go to a friend's house. Mother Hen has never let her go to this friend's house. I'm not sure if there is a good reason or not. At first, I dismiss the demand and keep my head down as I scrub the toilets.

She persists. I start a gauntlet of demands. Everything I ask of her is done with a smile. I could ask her to kiss her brother right now and I'm sure she'd do it if it meant that she could go to her friends. Since she's so behaved, I call her friend's mother to confirm that its ok. Thank god for icloud! My wife's contacts are all shared through the cloud. I make the decision that it can't be so bad. I let her go for 4 hours between lunch and supper.

With the girl gone for the afternoon, I have to entertain the boy. No real problems all afternoon except the sense of inequality that he's not going to a friend's house. The feeling flies over like a single rain cloud on a summer day. 

At 5 pm, I pick up our daughter. She's happy. Her friend is happy. The boy is ok. The dog is happy to be going for a drive. When we get home, supper is ready to be pulled out of the oven. It's a big hit. The kids compliment me by eating every last bite.

Another night without "idontlikes". I'm impressed more and more every day. I wonder what I do differently than my wife.

The day ended with me and the boy cheering on our beloved Montreal Canadiens against the hated Maple Leafs, while the girl watched a movie in the other room.

Easy peezy so far. I miss my wife, but this has been a hell of a lot easier than I expected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment