Thursday, October 1, 2015

My first love

She was 18 years old when I first met her. 18 years old, 3 months and 26 days and I loved her the moment I saw her. Don't tell me love at first sight doesn't exist because I'm living proof you're wrong.

She was tired and in pain. But she glowed, somewhat relieved. I didn't want to hurt her, but there was no other choice. It was a life and death situation. I chose life and in the process I hurt this precious woman so much that she didn't feel the pain anymore. All she felt was love for me, and I for her.

Today is her birthday. 18 years, 3 months and 26 days older than me. Happy birthday mom! I love you.

She was a child when she got married. Quickly got pregnant and had her first child before her 19th birthday. She wasn't allowed to drink, but she made decisions that forced her to quickly become an adult.

My mom has always been 18 years, 3 months and 26 days older than me, but for some reason, I have always seen her as old.

She isn't old. She's just older than me.

When I was 10 years old, she was still in her twenties, full of piss and vinegar, but I saw her as old.
When I got married at 25 years old, she was the same age I am now. And I thought she was old.
And today at she has brushed past the 60 and into a set of numbers she hasn't seen since she was a mid-teenager. She is now a dyslexic 16 year old, moving toward senior citizenship.

She's not old, even though I have always seen her as old.

Perspective only gives one opinion. That opinion is based on experience. And that experience is personal. The perspective we have is based on our own experiences. My mom looked old to me just like I look to my children.

She's a vibrant, funny, loving mother and I wouldn't trade her for anything. She's 18 years, 3 months and 26 days older than me. I love her more today than I did so many years ago.

Happy Birthday Mom! Hope you have a great dyslexic sweet sixteen birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment