Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Contagious like a yawn

We've all noticed that when a person yawns, inevitably the inexplicable cognitive forces cause someone else to yawn. It's like a virus. Contagious from one person to another. Funny when you think about it.

Know what else I noticed about these inexplicable cognitive forces? The same thing works with a smile.

I'm not a smiling type. I'm very happy, but I smile on the inside. I wasn't born, like my wife, with a permanent smile. I remember when I was 15, there was a girl in my math class who passed me a note. I love numbers. I was in heaven learning whatever was being taught that day. I was so intrigued and focused, that I looked sad. The note read, "Smile, whatever's wrong will get better". I was confused. What I learned later is that people are either introverts or extroverts. Some introverts, like me, will smile occasionally. It doesn't make them less happy. I laugh all of the time. I love immensely. I'm just referring to a simple smile.

There are four categories to smiles:
1. Smile to fake happiness,
2. Smile to show happiness,
3. Don't smile but still happy, and
4. Don't smile and not happy.

Have you ever smiled at a complete stranger? I'm sure you have, because I have caught myself doing it. I get all gooey inside and I always feel better after I've done it. Take note the next time you do it. It's like everyone gets really happy for a couple of seconds. A baby looking at me always pulls a smile out. Holding the door for a stranger and a quick interaction of thank you and your welcome always makes me feel better and forces the little bugger out. When I smile, someone smiles in return - EVERY TIME. And I always feel happier for the experience.

The analytical person inside wants to know if people smiled more, if the world would be a better place. Even when I'm in a bad mood, a baby always gets the better of it. An innocent baby, unknowingly, changes my life, even just for a second.

In Boy Scouts, we were taught to do good deeds daily for others. I don't know if helping others can get us on track with our happiness problem. A couple of weeks ago, I helped a lady who had ran her car off the road. I was running late for an appointment. The roads were slick. And it was cold. I had all the reasons not to stop, but I did anyways. I helped get her out of the ditch. When I left, I was extremely happy. I had done good that day.

We have a happiness problem. We get so stuck into our own problems that we sometimes forget that others have problems too. Remember the "pay it forward" technique? I'm going to create a simple daily goal for myself, "Do one good deed daily". I know I feel better from it. If everyone did one good deed daily, wouldn't the world smile more? I challenge you to the make world happier. Remember it's as contagious as a yawn.

Ta ta for now.

"A gentle word, a kind look, a good-natured smile can work wonders and accomplish miracles".
- William Hazlitt










No comments:

Post a Comment