Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Letter to Dad

Hey Dad,

You taught me the value of hard work and the value of a dollar. I remember working with you and feeling like you were harder on me than anyone else. I was so frustrated. I felt you expected a 16 year old kid to outwork the other men that reported to you. Despite all that, although a man of few words, I'll never forget the wisdom you bestowed on me during the drive home that day. It was the single most important things you ever said to me as a child.

Do you remember what you said?

You told me that you didn't want me to end up in a dead end job. You told me how important an education was. You explained that the reason you were harder on me is that you expected more from me, much, much more. To this day, even at 40, I wake up every morning thinking of all the things I still need to do.

Although we have never been overly close, I hope you know I love you. I can't remember a single time I've ever said those words to you. I'm not sure why.

I recently heard a story about a friend who lost her father. It affected me deeply (thanks for sharing MC) and made me realize that although we talk often enough, I have never said the most profound words that a son can say to a father. I know, because I yearn to hear those words every day from my children.

I may sound a little flaky and maybe I feel a little cowardly in posting this on my blog. But I'm learning that what others think about me is none of my business.

Maybe one day I will be able to mouth the words out loud, but today I just want you to know that I love you and I care about you.

Have a great day!

Your son, Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment