Saturday, January 25, 2014

Dog days of winter

So another freezing day of winter biting into my bones... For years, I've complained about the chattering cold, wondering why I continue to spend one quarter of my life in this god-forsaken bitterness.

I've been in warmer climates for vacation. I've enjoyed company with Mickey Mouse. The temporary break has never quite satisfied by thirst.

I'm told that I need to find outdoor activities to appreciate the weather. Too cheap to buy a ski-doo, can't skate, and never skied.

I plainly hate winter and the cold and snow it brings. There is one clear benefit that I can't lose sight of. If it wasn't for winter, I would never appreciate spring as much as I do. I also don't like hurricanes, tornados, tsunamis, scorpions, black widows and alligators. So I guess it could be much worse.

This year to get rid of the dog days of winter, we adopted a puppy. My first dog since I left the nest. Sleepless nights, stinky breath, floor pee and constant supervision... Despite that I still don't mind. The dog lovers already know this. Even though we've only had Trixie for two days, I'm already feeling better.  There's something therapeutic about a dog. I act like a little kid around her, rolling on the floor, speaking in uncontrollable puppy language and clapping my hands every time she does something right.

This puppy is teaching me more about parenting than I'm teaching her. Here's what I learned so far:
1. Recognize good behaviour, reward accordingly.
2. Stop bad behaviour right away, but don't punish.
3. Play a lot
4. Always tell them how much you love them.
5. Be cuddly

Here's to hoping a puppy can take away the winter blues.

Ta ta for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment