Sunday, January 19, 2014

You're a bully!

What do we do when we come across a sociopath? Do we run? Do we hide? Or do we face them and fight?

Before we answer that question, let's define what a sociopath is. A sociopath has their own rules of conduct. They don't have negative feelings regarding the consequences of their actions as it relates to others. We've all heard of the term psychopath. When I think of psychopaths, I think of the evil Dr. Hannibal Lechter in the movie "Silence of the Lambs". I think of someone who acts outside of normal convention and doesn't understand the difference between good and bad. A psychopath is an extreme sociopath.

Most of us don't know the extreme sociopaths like the Hannibal Lechter's of this world, thank god. I bet you do know a few sociopaths.

Sociopaths do not understand what honesty means. They will say whatever they have to in order to get ahead. Sociopaths don't care about who they trample over as they climb the corporate ladder because it's just one less person climbing the ladder. If you've ever been bullied in the workplace, you know who I'm talking about.

Unless you're also a sociopath, you can't fight them at their game. I know because I've tried. They are just too damned good at it. They are experts at lying, cheating, stealing and changing the facts. If you're not that type of person, you'll get clobbered. They see you as weak in your ideals.

A friend recently vented that most people are dishonest. Having been swindled one too many times, he believes that most people only care about numero uno. I don't believe that. I believe there is a group of people out their that are so self centered that no one else matters. With that said, I believe they are still in the minority.

The best defense I've had in my professional career against a sociopath is to ignore them, not trust them for anything and to keep a safe distance. Even when they were poking at me, ignoring them seemed to give them less energy. They feed off reaction. They want the fight or the argument. In one of my latest encounters with a sociopath, I was indifferent to his words. Being a passionate person, showing indifference was extremely difficult. But man, did it ever work!!!

I got out of that relationship and distanced myself from that bully. I recently saw someone else who knew my sociopath. In 2 seconds, I could see the anger in her words. Our sociopath had so much power over us. So while he sleeps at night, not thinking he has done anything wrong, we stay up thinking about his last move and worrying about his next.

Sociopaths cannot survive in your life if you don't give them power. Fighting against them gives them the oxygen they need. My advice is too ignore them at all costs. They'll look for someone else to bother. I wanted to stop the sociopath so he couldn't hurt anyone else. My dad taught me that even the best fighters get beaten. Somewhere they will meet their match. Unless you're also a sociopath, you shouldn't try beating them head on.

Check out this funny clip to demonstrate my point.

http://youtu.be/kpNPw4H6_tU


Have a great Sunday!


“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.” 
― Mahatma Gandhi

"Don't ever get into fight with an idiot. He will drag you down and beat you with his experience"
- Unknown




No comments:

Post a Comment