Sunday, January 12, 2014

Let's go on a quest together...

Do you know anyone who considers themselves a gamer?

In my youth, gaming was defined by turning on the Nintendo, getting a couple of friends together and playing marathon games until morning. I remember on many occasions, playing all night until a friend's parent would get up and cook us breakfast. Watching the sunrise and never having slept has always been a special experience.

Although I still know people who love to game, I left that stuff behind a long time ago. The quest I search for today is to make a difference in the world by helping others achieve their goals.

First we need to realize that life is a finite resource. What are we doing with it?  Are we sitting in front of a computer checking friend status updates or watching TV? I'm not here to judge, because I have wasted as much time as the next person. However, is there an ability to do more, to give more, to laugh more, or to love more? We will all die. What are we doing with our time?

Somewhere around the age of 15, we lost the ability to dream. Maybe the loss was stimulated by puberty. When I say dream, I don't mean just thinking of princesses and dragons. I mean really dreaming, dreaming about what how we are going to make a difference. Was it because the distractions of video games, TV, internet and now smart phones that squashed our senses by helping us escape our lives? My grandfather didn't have any of that stuff, and I think he lacked the ability to dream too, so I'm not going to blame technology. I think it's deeper than that.

Now let's talk about dreaming for a minute. I've read that the mathematical definition of a dream can be simply put as follows:

Dream = Goal + Inaction (negative action)

So if that equation is correct, all we have to do is clearly define our goals and then add a large dose of action and we'll get what we desire. This is what some call the Laws of Attraction. To get what you want, you need to act. So the true problem we have with dreaming is the ability to Act.

Act I will. Are you with me? Are we ready for the evil warlocks of laughter? Are we prepared for the fire breathing dragon of fear? Can we overcome the deathly hollows of mediocrity?

I believe, as my mom taught me, that we can be whatever we want to be. We just have to believe deep enough in it and we have to act on it. Let's play the best game of all. It's hard as hell, some think it can't be won, and we'll have a blast not watching the tick-tock of the clock. Life, it's awesome. Let's set some big lofty goals, then act upon them.


No comments:

Post a Comment