Wednesday, April 19, 2017

My friend Tommy...

My friend Tommy is an amazing human.
On the surface, he looks like a regular Joe.
But he's one of the smartest men I know.
Graduating from high school, Tommy jumped into the family insurance business and took over from his dad when the time was right. 
Tommy used to drag race cars.

His last race the car hit the wall and broke four of his bones.
Tommy is a family man and realized that racing was part of his past and not his future.

What's really interesting about Tommy is his ability to be at the right place at the right time.
Tommy carries around a horseshoe...in his pocket.

I could write a book about Tommy. From his failed exploits as a race car driver to his automobile restoration business that he does for fun. 

Tommy is a wealthy man...with both money and friends.
No one has ever muttered a bad word about him.
They can't. He's THAT nice.

Tommy calls me once a month to find out how I'm doing. He doesn't tell me about himself. If he's got a big deal on the brink of closing, I won't hear about it until weeks later, unless I ask.

He could be bubbling with excitement on a deal and he'll let me talk his ears off.

Tommy gave me one of the greatest gifts a man could give.
He convinced me to do something that would change my life for the better. 

Let me explain.

I was sitting at home, enjoying some free time after I sold a business. The phone rings and there's Tommy on the other end.

"Hey Tommy, how have you been?"
"What are you doing right now?"
"I'm relaxing for a few days, trying to figure out my next move".
"Rick, I'm in Texas right now. You need to get your ass down here in the next month".

Tommy had visited Texas a few times to attend a school called Wizard Academy. 

"Tommy, I hear you. I'll have to look into it."
"Rick, what's the problem? Do you not have free time?
"Uhh, my schedule is empty right now."
"Do you not have the money to get on a flight and pay for a three day class in Austin?"
"Uhh, we did well on the business sale, I have some money to spend on my education."
"Then get your ass down here. The class you need to take is in 2 weeks. I'm telling them you're coming. Book it and think about it later."

So I did.
And it was one of the greatest business decisions I've ever made.
I've been to that school 6 times in 3 years.
And I can't wait to go again this fall.

Tommy knew that school was good for me.
He didn't call me because he got a kickback from the school.
He did it for me. 
He knew it would help me.

Because that's who he is.
Selfless.

The more he helps others, the more he gets back. 
Tommy recently bought another business.
Many thought he was retired.
A guy called on him one day to get a phone number of a mutual friend.
Asking why he needed the number, Tommy found out he wanted to sell his business.
Within 48 hours, Tommy secured financing, wrote up the contract and bought the business.
He didn't need the business. 

But you see, Tommy has a teenage son.
He wants to help him get his feet wet.
He's teaching once again. This time to someone more important than I.

If I told Tommy that he was a great guy, he'd laugh a little and shift the compliment back on me. 

If I called Tommy right now and said I needed him, he would meet me within an hour - if he was in town. If he was unavailable, he would ask if we could talk it out over the phone. He would drop everything to help me. I'm certain he would do the same for anyone.

That's the kind of guy he is.
Selfless.

Some call him lucky.
He will say that opportunity falls onto his lap. 

I say he creates his own luck. 
The universe has a way of rewarding those who go out of their way to help others. 
Tommy does that for a living. 
Is it any wonder why he gets more than his fair share of luck?

I've known Tommy for almost 10 years. We've never been to each other's house. We have only met each other's wife one time. 

I speak to him regularly.
I consider him one of my best friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment