Monday, April 24, 2017

Unicorns are real


86 g of sugar...

The haters immediately jumped on the wagon where the band always plays.

The thing is gross.
I hate mangos.
It has too much sugar.
Starbucks is overrated.

These were the uninformed comments I had to endure after I posted a picture of my drink.

I have but one question. Did you try the latest frappacino at Starbucks called the Unicorn?

The Unicorn was supposed to be a spring time launch that was going to last one week. After one day, most Starbucks had run out of product.

The typical daily demand for the most popular frappacino  (Vanilla Bean) is 20. The Unicorn was purchased 527 times on the first day of the promotion at my Starbucks.

People attribute this demand to social media. Some say it was because of the limited time offer. Some say it was the media coverage it got. 

I go to Starbucks every day.
There was no "Coming Soon" marketing used.
The only reason I knew about it was because the staff let me try the nuclear powder when I asked what it was during their testing phase.
I did not google it. I did not see it on Facebook.
My friends didn't talk about it.
But I wanted one.

And when I went in the morning of its launch, I saw people ordering it like there was nothing else on the menu - seven at a time.

The Unicorn sold out in one day for a very simple reason.
It wasn't the marketing.
It wasn't the sugar.
It wasn't the price point.

One simple reason. You wouldn't think about it if I didn't point it out.

Colour.

The colour of a frappacino is usually white, pink, or some shade of brown. Mostly boring, normal colours.

The unicorn was a combination of purple, blue and red. It had the colours of magic. 

Unicorn - A perfect name for a magical drink.

Was it any good? 
I liked it, but it doesn't even matter.
It was magical.
My kids missed the opportunity and now they want one.

It was a magical day to see the Unicorn at Starbucks. 

I can't wait to see it or a cousin of the same variety.




No comments:

Post a Comment