Friday, January 23, 2015

Does purpose matter?

I often ask myself what is my purpose in life. As if there is some grand plan waiting for me to push the right button so I can achieve everything I was supposed to.

The grand plan thing must come from deeply entrenched beliefs about religion.

Is it possible that I have a purpose?

In a recent video, I saw the grandness of our universe and the size of our planet in comparison. Our planet is basically a spec of dust moving at 67,000 miles per second. Dr. Seuss may have described our Earth appropriately in "Horton hears a Who".

Yet our egos place us at the centre of it all. Humans fight over land, money and natural resources when none of it truly matters.

What matters is the current relationships we have with each other. People won't remember what we said. They will not remember what we did. But they will always remember how they felt in our presence.

Working hard to make a living, we forget that we are all on the same dust ball.

Maybe there is no such thing as purpose. Maybe we made it up to give our life meaning. Maybe there's no life after death.

All these answers are beyond my knowledge. But I know what I believe and that's what keeps me going.

Here's the only thing I know for sure:

We are living on a spec of dust spinning at 67,000 miles per second. We are insignificant outside our own selves.


No comments:

Post a Comment