Friday, January 30, 2015

Questioning authority

I'm a product of the public school system. My kids are now being produced by the same system that created me and countless others like me.

On the way to school this morning, my daughter told me that she dared not question the rules at school. Some rules like respecting others, being polite and not yelling, running, swearing or disrupting others are regulations that show mutual respect for others. I accept these rules. And so should my children.

But there are other rules that have no bearing on respect. These rules are arbitrarily assigned by a person in authority because they can. The adult in me says these rules are ridiculous. Luckily I'm not a student at this school. As the parent, I must coach my children to think inquisitively.

My daughter is a unique little girl that questions all of my rules. What stops her from questioning her teachers? Does she accept all things said in the classroom? Is she thinking for herself or has she become a drone accepting all information as fact in school?

She worries about questioning the teacher about a banal rule for fear of making the teacher mad.

"Who are you more afraid of upsetting, me or your teacher?". She confirms that I am her biggest fear.
"Who has more power, me or your teacher?". She again answers that I have more perceived power.
"Why don't you question things you don't understand?". She answers that understanding the rules is not as important as obeying them in school

She's nine years old.

Everything she does not understand has to be questioned as long as she does it in a polite, courteous manner that does not disrespect the adult. Poor girl does't know that questions are the key to learning.

That's my fault. I take 100% responsibility for her un-inquisitive mind. Teachers beware. My child is being prepared for the world. She needs to question rules, why they exist, what would happen if they didn't exist, who made up the rule, how can the rule be changed and when will it all happen.

We've been taught to accept the rules, don't question them and just keep moving on as if we do understand them.  It reminds me of the scene in "The Time Machine" by HG Wells. The Eloi in the book are future descendants of humans in the year 802701. They are fed and treated like livestock for the Morlocks to feed on. Morlocks live underground and rule the planet. The Eloi don't question anything. They just live in a paradise like place with food, drink and pleasure. Only to be eaten before they get too old and tough.

The fate of the Eloi is to be eaten. Is that what we want for our children?

No comments:

Post a Comment