Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Respect can not be earned

I like to zag when everyone else is zigging. The road less traveled can be frightful and a delightful experience at the same time.

One of my zags has to do with respect. Most believe respect has to be earned. I disagree.

Respect is given, whether we like it or not. I had to respect my parents. If not, there were consequences. I had to respect my boss or I got fired. I have to respect my wife or she will eventually leave me.

Get the point?

It is not respect that is earned. It is trust. If I don't know you, I may withhold trust as I get to know you better. As I observe your behaviours, your personality, your thoughts, I will grant you little bits of trust along the pathway to a trusting relationship.

We trust our parents. They cared for us when wild dogs could've eaten our eyes out. There's a primal trust there.

I respect my parents because they respect me.

Giving respect to a complete stranger's thoughts, actions, beliefs when I first meet them comes from the need to be courteous and polite.  They deserve my respect until they don't. They lose my respect as they lose respect for me.

There's a simple duality. You'll have my respect on day one. Respect me back and you'll have it to the end of time.

Where this whole respect thing gets hard is when I think of the relationship with children. I love our kids. But they don't always respect us. Silly little manipulators don't know any better.

In reviewing my respect values, I found that I disrespect my little manipulators in return for their childish banter. They need my respect no matter what.

As is usual, there has to be an exception to the rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment