Thursday, January 15, 2015

Help wanted

In general, people have a major weakness. We don't get help when we need it.

I'm not sure if we don't like to ask for help or we don't have the tools to recognize that we could use a helping hand.  We put on the brave face and project a position of strength so no one thinks we're weak. The inability to seek help when needed is a fragility. In trying to be strong, we become weak.

It must come from childhood experiences. Think of the things we've heard when we were hurt as children. Adults would say things like:
"Your tough, tough boys don't cry",
"You're not hurt",
"Take it like a man",
"Suck it up",
"Stop crying".

There is no one to blame. The adults were reiterating what they heard in their childhood. We perpetuate the problems as we continue to reinforce these same behaviour with our own children.

As an adult, I am wired to not ask for help. It takes every ounce of my humbleness to seek out help. I don't even like to ask a neighbour for a hand.

This year, I'm working on an exciting project. There's a lot I don't know. I have a choice.
1. Seek out help, pay for good advice and kickstart the project into high gear.
2. Learn how to do it myself, make a bunch of mistakes and eventually, hopefully, get my project off the ground.

Do you see the dilemma? I have a choice. I have to spend time or money. The one that is least important to me will be the one that I will spend.

Even if money is most important, I will waste more of it in the second option as I make small mistakes that will cost me.financially.

There is only one right answer. The wrong answer will waste both resources.

As we start to understand ourselves, we will realize where certain beliefs and actions originate. In analyzing the effects of our upbringing, we learn that the longer we wait, we waste both time and money.

It will cost you some money to get the right help. But getting no help will cost both time and money.

Cry when you skin your knee. Someone will help you. I guarantee it.


No comments:

Post a Comment