Thursday, January 22, 2015

Special place

I spent the last three days on a special island. If you've never been there, you won't understand. If you're from there, you take it for granted.

It's paradise but not because of the weather. One day the wind chill was 30 below Celsius. The next day was plus 10. On the last day, it rained.

The people made paradisical. Just like any good business, the people are the defining characteristic of a great place.

This was my third visit here. I never noticed its magic on the previous two. It may be my age that appreciates it more.

Every where I went, someone was complimenting me. The street person told me he liked my scarf. The hotel employee acted like my mother. The stranger in the elevator told me a joke to get a laugh. Passers by on the street said hello as they walked toward their destination.

I had an accent to the natives. I was clearly an outsider when I spoke.

One could argue that people were less busy here. It's deeper than that.

These people are looking life in the eye. They haven't forgotten the only way to succeed is by working together.

There's something magical about island people. This island has 400,000 tenants. They act like we're all neighbors.

When I got home, I asked my wife why the server at the restaurant was so rude. She hadn't noticed. It was the second time that day that I felt under-loved in a business.

It hit me like a Codfish to the face on a cold day. I wasn't getting the personal care I got on my favorite island. My part of the country is extra special compared to the western front of this vast land. We got nothing on the folks further east.

One of the best employees I ever hired was a member of this island tribe. He was caring. He paid attention to customers. He worked his butt off. I always attributed his strengths to his expertise. My perspective has changed. He was brought up that way.

I hope the oil industry doesn't beat these wonderful people into big city, head down, smiles turned upside down, pickle sucking zombies.

Where ya to...

No comments:

Post a Comment