Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A weekend to remember

I was 23 when my wife and I started dating. We worked for the same company and became work friends. We would lunch together with other friends. One night, we went to a movie together. Another night, we played tennis. We were purely platonic friends. Others knew we were dating before we realized our feelings were mutual.

I liked her but I had experience in losing girl friendships in my attempts to escalate the relationship. With my this girl, I decided that I was not going to lose her. I fully accepted the "just friends" rule. What I didn't know is that she had similar feelings for me.

Thankfully she goes after what she wants!

Three weeks into our new enhanced relationship, the inevitable trip to her parents came calling. I was informed her parents could not speak English. Wow! I didn't know that still happened in New Brunswick. I thought everyone was assimilated. With 7 years French Immersion in my back pocket, I got ready for a weekend that I was expecting to be extremely painful.

At the midway point of the three hour drive to her parents, Aline informed me that since she was a little girl, she had always had a deep desire to adopt a child.  We're three weeks into a new romance. If travelling to visit her parents wasn't scary enough, the discussion of children was putting this relationship in turbulent waters. Luckily, I really liked her.

Then she told me that her father was a man of few words. So I shouldn't be offended if he doesn't talk too much. This weekend was looking better and better by the minute.

Upon arrival at her parents, my broken French combined with her parents' severe broken English made for a very comical weekend. I had a humbling moment when her 3 year old nephew started correcting my French grammar.

Aline didn't know her father very well. He never stopped talking to me for the entire weekend.

Her mom reminded Aline that when she was 5, she had gotten into a fight with her brother over the TV. He was mad because she wanted to watch English TV and neither could understand what was being said. Aline rationalized that she had to learn the language so she could marry her English husband.

So in that first weekend at her parents' house, we discussed kids and marriage.

I have to be honest. It didn't scare me at all. I really did like her. She was what I had been searching for in a life partner. She was and still is very awesome.

From Aline's childhood, she accurately predicted adoption and marriage to an English guy. She has a keen connection to the universe. With all her voodoo, witch craft, power of thought, I try really hard not to piss her off. Although she informs me her talents are used solely for good, I'm wary she might cast a spell on me.


3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Love this story. I remember that company well and my first meeting of Aline. I remember her as always having a smile on her face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the sounds of it she already cast a spell on you hehe!!

    ReplyDelete