Monday, March 17, 2014

Ever feel stupid?

I have a lot of business meetings. I spend a lot of time with smart people. I have a Masters degree in business. Some will consider me an educated person. I meet people all of the time who talk over my head. They use fancy words. They have a gift. A gift to talk with influence, without hesitation, with authority…
They sound convincing. The use of big words and their confidence is mesmerizing. I get drawn into these conversations and come out feeling stupid. Why can’t I talk like them? I have lots of confidence. I am continuously learning.
The people I learn from best have a command on the usage of words, but use them in an eloquent, understandable, simple way. I’m not a rocket scientist. Life isn’t complicated. I have a lot to learn.
I like to talk in simple terms so everyone can understand what I’m saying. I don’t need you to think I’m smart. I want you to believe in what I have to say so you can change your life.
Actions are driven by beliefs. Beliefs are driven by attitude. Help someone change their attitude and you’ll get a different result guaranteed.
Whether it’s our spouse, our children, our coworkers or our friends/family, if there’s something we don’t like about them, we want them to change. We try to change them. We ask them to change. Actions will never see sustainable change until attitude changes. Attitudes are a personal decision.

My attitude toward these complicated talkers creates a limiting belief. I believe complicated talkers are seemingly smart. And I tend to trust them more than I should. Complicated talkers are no smarter than you and I. They’ve mastered language. They have power of influence with usage of words. There is no indication that they can make better decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment