Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Fake it until you make it

My first job out of university, I was told to dress for success. I had to wear a suit and tie every day. The logic was that if I dressed professionally, I would act professionally. I have to admit, because I dressed nice, I felt good about myself. And hence, I probably treated people a bit better. The way I dressed affected my attitude.
When I started my first business, I read that I need to fake it until I make it. The logic was people like to do business with successful people. For years, I challenged this thinking because it seemed like a personal marketing tactic. It isn’t authentic. It’s fake from the highest level. It’s not authentic. You’re fake if you fake it. You might wear a thousand dollar suit, drive a fancy car, but your house doesn’t have any furniture in it.
I was brought up that keeping up with the Joneses is a strategy in which no one wins unless you’re selling to them. I’ve never prescribed to this strategy.
Then I read a passage in a book this morning. The fake it until I make it isn’t for others. It’s for the person doing it.
Again, it’s about changing your attitude about yourself. As you feel good about yourself, you change the beliefs of what you can accomplish. As you change your beliefs, you start acting differently. As you act in a more positive, focused approach, you ultimately get what you dressed for.
Attitude drives belief. Belief drives actions. Action drives results.

No comments:

Post a Comment