Saturday, March 1, 2014

Can you do me a favour?

I got a parking ticket in December. It was a snowy, blustery day. I tried getting into one of the parking lots, but they were all full. I ended up parking at a meter. The damn thing expired before I got back and it felt like someone was watching for it to expire so they could get $30.00 out of me, instead of a few quarters. 

I hate taxation. Especially when it's stupid taxation. Government at all levels squander most of the money we give them. I accept some taxation like income, property, and sales. I can convince myself that only people with money have to pay these bills. It helps a broken system feel like its still working. It's the small useless taxation that serves nothing except annoyance that pisses me off. 

Then last week, as I'm trying to help stimulate the economy in getting more jobs, more revenues, more taxes for the province and the city, I come back to my car 10 minutes late to bright white bastard of a ticket. I was parked in the 12 hour spots, where $1 gets you an hour of parking. 

I can't explain how much I hate seeing my tax dollars wasted on some guy running around handing out tickets.

Yesterday, my wife asked to run into a bookstore downtown. There is always ample parking in front of the building, with meters. I was going in for 2 minutes, getting the book and leaving. Without a quarter in my pocket, I second guessed my next move. Do I risk gambling $1 for potential loss of $30? It seems like a really dumb thought process now, but I want to make up value for the $30 that I now owe them for last week.

I chose the riskier option. In my hurriedness, a homeless man stopped me. He asked, "Can you do me a favour"? Not having time to spare for wasteless conversation, I abruptly responded, "Sorry I don't have any money"? A total lie. I had $5 in my pocket. I didn't want to spend it on parking. I didn't want a ticket. 

I assumed he wanted money. Maybe he wanted a coffee. I didn't give him any respect as a person. As I'm speed walking to the bookstore, he asks rhetorically, "Why is everyone so rude in Moncton"? 

The city of honesty, the city of goodness, my city...in this guy's eyes is rude. Actually he's saying I'm rude. I got the book, rushed back to the car to stop any meter maid who may be trying to stealthfully poke me again. No one there, but the homeless guy, sitting on the freezing ground watching all of the hurried people go from point A to point B.

The city didn't get my money today. I was happier to help out someone sitting on the ground. Feeling partly guilty, I placed a twoonie in his hand and said, "You need this more than I do brother. Have a great day". 
 
As I left, I thought about the two conversations I had with this stranger. I could have bought him a coffee but that would have been presumptuous of me. Maybe the guy doesn't like coffee. I could have asked him to watch the meter for me and to distract any potential tax officers. I could have given him the money the first time I walked by him. In either case, I feel good about my decision. My kids would've blown the two bucks on a useless toy with their next visit to the Dollar store. Either way the money wasn't going to be mine.

Whatever way I look at it, homelessness has to suck for those living on the streets. They all have demons that have brought them there. They need help to get out of that rut. I've heard that we shouldn't enable homeless people with money. If the money bought this guy a cheap bottle of wine or a hit of crack, I don't care. If he can get through another day, I hope I did my part. 

Homelessness is a problem. As I sit in my warm house, with food in the fridge, gas in my cars and money in the bank, I can't help but think about those who have absolutely nothing.

Next time you're confronted by a homeless person, take a quarter and help them out. You'll be surprised how good you'll feel about yourself afterward.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment