Thursday, March 27, 2014

Born to sell

I heard a statement recently, "She could sell ice to an Eskimo". I got the connection. The usage of the cliche states that this person knows what she's doing when it comes to sales. The connotation of selling a product to someone without a true need is the epitome of being a good salesperson. That's what was suggested.

Yesterday a friend and I reminisced about our sales experience as Boy Scouts. As a representative of a visible minority when I wore my uniform, I would knock on doors and beg for money in exchange for product or service. Soapy sponges, ball point pens, chocolate bars, apples was the easy sell. The hard sell was gathering cash in return for a promise to plant trees. At least I thought it was the hard sell. Everybody always gave something, even the stingy, greedy guy. I hated going to his house. He would play with my confidence and try to get a bargain. Worse part was I knew he wasn't the playful type. He really wanted a deal.

Already questioning motive, this type of selling did not appeal to me. Hence sales has always been a prickly thorn that I would keep my side away from.

Here's what I know about sales. We all do it. We've always done it. My kids beg for the latest greatest toy. If I say no, they persist with the whiney "Pleeeeeaaaasssse". If that doesn't work, the sales tactics escalate to tantrums, silent treatment or they ask the real decision maker, their mother.

We sell to our spouses reasons why a certain car or house should be purchased. We sell ourselves to our employer. We are all in the business of sales.

It's how good we are at it that determines our results.

Good does not mean selling something that no one needs. Good at selling means identifying what your prospects need and showing them how they can achieve their needs/wants with your product.

A good salesman would never sell ice to someone that doesn't need it. A good salesman will identify the prospect's pain by asking a series of questions. A good salesman may tell the lead that they don't need ice. It's not about making a sale. It's about helping others get what they want.


PS. My apologies to anyone I have offended by using the word Eskimo. I realize this is not the politically correct term but I didn't say these words. I am merely quoting the cliche that I heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment