Sunday, February 2, 2014

Because I said so...

As a child, I remember asking my parents why I had to do certain things. Many times the answer was the same, "Because I said so...". Man, I hated that answer. It didn't mean anything. I wanted a reason. I got an order.

I have always hated being told what to do, when to do it and how to do it. I'm just not hardwired to accept submission. In grade 8, my teacher forced me to take off my track suit jacket, because of a no jacket rule in class. In my rotation of clothes, I caused a small rebellion the next week. I wore my track suit without an under shirt. I figured out the "No jacket" rule was less important than the "No shirt" rule. That didn't go over well with the teachers. I was undermining their authority. I look back and I think I was using my creative thinking to get past their stupid rules.

Schools say they promote creative thinking. Truly, they want students to submit and do what they are told to do.

I have been extremely lucky in my work life. The three companies I have worked for have always given me the freedom to get the job done without close supervision.

Funny enough, the first franchise business I bought was exactly the opposite of my work experience and more closely resembled my grade 8 experience.

We always hear about the benefits of franchises versus getting into an independent business. I can tell you first hand from my franchise experience, that it made me an expert in restaurant operations. But there were huge pitfalls to being in a franchise.

Looking back on the experience, it was not that much fun. Being told what to do, without reason was a challenge. When asked why we did certain functions and tasks, I was told because that's the way we want it done. Maybe that answer works for some people. I wanted to know why. In my franchise, I was a prisoner.

My mom used to say, "If everyone jumps off the bridge, does it mean you have to too"? I love that question. She basically asked me, "Are you a leader or a follower"? To be a good franchisee, you have to be a follower. I was a shitty franchisee.

Don't get me wrong, I made money as a franchisee. I was very unhappy. I learned what I don't ever want to do again. I'm very thankful for my experience. It made me a smarter businessperson.

If you ever want to buy a franchise, you should talk to people like me. We can give you some insight that you might not think about. A franchise might be right for you and it might not be.

Either way, knowledge is power. I won't tell you what to do.

Ta ta for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment