Thursday, February 20, 2014

Word!

Have you ever made up a word? In university, I had two friends who had a better command of the English language than I. While I wasted my days playing video games, they seemed to be content making up words that could easily be deciphered into real meaning.

Negaggerate: To exaggerate negatively

One I'll never forget. There were countless others. One friend, a son of an English teacher, and the other an English major, who became a teacher himself. Two talented guys...

I'm a product of bilingualism. In a province that promotes the equal usage of both languages, I can boast that I am considered bilingual. I spent 7 years in a school system that split my focus between the two languages in order to become more employable. I am a generalist. Jack of two languages...Master of none.

In my quest, to become a better marketer, I was told the masterful use of language and the ability to make up words could paint a picture in rhythmic, drum beating sequence that could draw in the droners of druthers.

That's right, I just made up a word. I'm practicing. Sorry.

The whole idea of making up words isn't a new concept. It is actually a field of study called "Seussing". And yes, it's giving credit to the greatest word-maker of them all, Dr. Seuss.

In my limited education of the English language, we were never encouraged to make up words. I was told if it ain't in the dictionary, it ain't a word. That logic seems ridiculous to me now, considering that many words get created and eventually get accepted as everyday lexicon.

A really smart guy told me that words are the most powerful force we can master. I have a lot to learn.

Thanks French Immersion and Sega Genesis...

No comments:

Post a Comment