Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The meaning of life...

The five minutes it takes me to drive my kids to school each morning are sometimes the highlight of my day. No distraction, no music, no video games, no TV. Just a discussion about whatever comes up. This morning I was in a foolish mood. In haste, I told my kids that the life was a battle between good and evil.

My 8 year old argued, "No that's not true".  She stipulated, "Life is about loving..." and then she paused. She added, "...and singing". My son, not one to be left out retorted that it was also about dancing. Finally before I could add anything else to the conversation, my daughter finished the answer by saying it was also about being healthy.

Lately, I've begun to observe my children from a different perspective. From the innocence of a child. Of the simple way of life, maybe I can learn more from them than I try to teach. Maybe the stuff we've been telling them is sinking in. Either way, I believe we are learning from each other.

I've come to realize that I over complicate situations sometimes. If I start looking at life and its problems from its basic principles, maybe my children have the problems all figured out.

Despite the ongoing battles of timeouts, Mario Cart, iPad, TV and various other electronics, my children have a clear perspective of what is important in life.

According to my children, the meaning of life has four critical areas:

Loving,
Singing,
Dancing,
And being healthy.

I think they're right. So I question if we are doing enough of the four basic areas of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment