Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Power to choose

We all slept in the same room last night. I awoke this morning to a driveway full of snow. Although I swore my snow blowing days were over for this winter, I've had to eat my words. My 4x4 would struggle with three feet of snow at the end of the driveway. I cleaned it out nice and wide. Maybe the last I need to do that this winter.

The propane fireplace throws enough heat to keep us warm. My son runs around the house without a shirt on. Each time we order him to put a shirt on, he complains of being too hot.

Bottled water is coming in handy. Thanks DB for your survival tips last summer. With 90 litres of water, we will not dehydrate.

Today, my Boy Scout days came back to me. I pulled out the propane stove which was used for camping once upon a time. Set up a makeshift kitchen in the garage. There's more ventilation to protect us from carbon monoxide poisoning.  Boiled some tea. Then we had hamburgers for lunch. The fridge is warming up so we took all the dairy, and protein and put it in a cooler outside. It's only 1 degree outside but it's still colder than in my fridge. Checked the freezer. Everything is holding temp.

New problem is that we've drained the holding tank for our toilets. It's getting kind of gross in there. Aline filled up the buckets with snow last night, only to have an inch of water this morning. not enough for one flush. I warned her but she wanted to try. There's been a bit of a thaw this afternoon. Water started rolling off the roof. Perfect water for our toilets.  I have four buckets collecting water as I write this blog. I initially suggested using the buckets for our dirty business. I was outvoted three to one.

The kids played together again this morning, but they are getting agitated. The first big fight happened a few minutes ago. Poor kids probably have cabin fever. We gotta get out and go for a drive.

We have numerous offers to stay with loved ones. For now we're comfortable. I'm really regretting Sunday. I had a lazy day and didn't shower. For a guy who usually showers every day, this three day binge is borderline disgusting. We are told that people are going to the local community centre as a refuge.

Got home from supper to find our driveway full of hard packed icy snow. And I thought this morning was my last run. Couldn't plow through it so we had to park the car on the side of the road.

Power company says no power until tomorrow night. There's power at the school. It looks like school might be on tomorrow. A friend recharged our phones. As an added bonus, we found a place to have a shower. We are all clean again.

The damn dog decided that peeing in our bed was a better decision than going outside.

Time to go to the liquor store!

No comments:

Post a Comment