Tuesday, April 15, 2014

When the mice are out, the chats will play

My wife and I have let our kids play around on the computer since they were about 4 years old. Always supervised, we limited their exposure to the harsh outside world. As we try to protect our youngins, they venture further and further from our nest.

We've been spying on them waiting for the first visit to a site that wasn't appropriate content. Today we found our chicks on a site marketing toward their age bracket. Yet the content and interaction is not right for any child. Concerned for our children's well being, I logged onto the site using my son's profile. I was able to have conversations with supposed other kids his age. The conversation sent back my way was too sexual for me and most definitely for my kids.

I proceeded to Google what other parents were saying about this website. None of it was good. As of today, my computer is blocking this site. Worst part of the whole story, my kids were given permission at school to log onto it.

Moviestarplanet may have been set up for young kids to socialize using avatars and games. It is nothing more than a chat room where kids no longer act like kids.

I feel sick to my stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment